Zendesk is looking for an experienced Director of Engineering to grow a critical product engineering team based in Melbourne, Australia. The role will be focused on building a workflow engine infused with machine learning that will have a dramatic impact on how well 130,000+ business around the world answer questions and interact with their customers.
At Zendesk, our focus is on help our customers build great relationships with their customers. Many years ago we recognised the power of machine learning to predict outcomes and guide people to potential answers when they have a question. In August 2017, we launched Answer Bot built by this team in Melbourne and now have a vision to go beyond and infuse it with a powerful workflow engine to ensure that when someone has a question, they can get an answer as quickly as possible.
The team is a full-stack engineering team responsible for working with Data Scientists, Designers and Product Managers. This is a senior management role, responsible initially for a team of around 15 people reporting through two team leads.
As well as being able to manage, develop and support less experienced staff you'll also be an active influencer in technical discussion and vision setting. Being able to set clear goals and contribute constructively to architectural conversations are key focuses to ensure your success in this role.
What you get to do every day:
- Work with senior leaders in Engineering and Product Management to define how engineering aligns with our long-term technical strategy and product roadmap.
- Partner in refining the vision of the product and technical systems. This includes: thinking about explicit charters and structures for the teams and efficiently allocating resources to important technical & product initiatives
- Crafting a growth model for the teams, as well as a model for how they can effectively partner with geographically distributed stakeholders.
- Work with the existing management to continually improve software delivery, grow the team responsibly and ensure team happiness.
- Manage product delivery across multiple teams based in Melbourne with many global dependencies.
- Be personally involved in driving the largest initiatives to launch
What you'll bring to the role:
- You are currently in a software engineering leadership role with a history of delivering high-quality products built for scale and flexibility.
- You have a track record of building high-performing, self-sufficient teams. This could be from hiring the right talent to mentoring & growing it internally.
- You are comfortable having both architecture discussions with engineers and feature/strategy discussions with Product Managers.
- Experience with large-scale SaaS architecture and ideally building features using machine learning technologies.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- A calm demeanour, collaborative attitude but internal fire to deliver.
We have over 200 staff in our Melbourne office, the majority of them in engineering, our biggest engineering team outside of San Francisco. We own core systems, and build products such as Answer Bot, Connect and our Embeddables Web Widget. We approach work with calm focus, collaboration, a sense of humour and keep sane working hours!
Perks include a competitive salary package as well as stock, flexible working hours, a fully stocked kitchen and very hygge (Danish for ‘warm and cosy’) offices on Collins Street. We're also very big on inter-office collaboration and regularly pair with global teams of key projects. Ongoing staff development is also essential to Zendesk so you’ll be invited to lunch and learns, hackathons and lab days to experiment with new ideas and concepts. In addition, we have a strong focus on CSR so you’ll be encouraged to take part in a range of company-sponsored volunteer initiatives.