The Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia Quality Assurance Programs (RCPAQAP) is a global leader in external quality assurance for pathology laboratories operating on six continents.
An opportunity exists for an enthusiastic and curious intermediate engineer to join a skilled team that is developing the new platform that will underpin our growth for the next decade. In this role, you'll be part of a small team of engineers architecting and developing a brand new platform that will expand to underpin almost all parts of the business.
The core of this platform is a Rails 5 API with a separate React frontend. We anticipate expanding both the number of backend services and discrete front end applications serving them. One of the upcoming tasks is to carefully introducing an approach to event sourcing that will scale out as we begin integrations with current systems and future services.
RCPAQAP works in a unique and fascinating domain, and the challenging technical problems to be solved are matched by our working making a real difference to improving the quality of pathology. The business actively encourages team members to offer creative solutions and ideas, providing the tools and appropriate resources to do so.
Location & details
The position is located in St Leonards, Sydney, and the office is within walking distance of the train station and the Pacific Highway.
The position is a full-time appointment and the salary will be in line with market rates.
- Reporting to the Software Manager, you will work with the wider Informatics Team as part of the product team (Delivery Manager, Agile BA, UX Designer & Engineers) to deliver working software to production for our customers using an agile delivery approach.
- Assist in the planning and estimation of features
- Build partnerships within and outside the company to not just write code but also be able to interact with the business and customers.
- Writing code that is expressive to other developers
- Designing systems with a security conscious approach
- Modelling business concepts in a relational database
- Writing commits that are easily reviewed by other developers
- Debugging production web applications
- Designing developer-friendly HTTP APIs
Essential technical experience
- Modern Ruby & Rails
- Postgres (or equivalent), including relational schema design, index and constraint usage
- Rails testing, in particular RSpec
- Git or similar modern version control
- The basics of HTTP
Helpful technical experience
- Web application performance, monitoring, logging
- Web application architecture and design, especially security concerns
- JSON Schema, RAML, or other API definition tools
- Hypermedia / RESTful API principles
- Github and its workflows
- Heroku, including pipelines and CI
- Basic unix system administration
- Basic AWS usage and management
- Apache Kafka or other distributed queues / message bus systems
- Client side concerns
- JS, including node, react, webpack
- Modern CSS & HTML