Junior Software Engineer (Python)
We are seeking a junior software engineer to join our Service Layer team, which is responsible for automating layer 2 and 3 network device infrastructure; simply: we write code to automate configuration changes on switches and routers!
In this role, you will join a team of expert Python engineers designing and implementing automation solutions that have immediate impact on our customer-facing operations. We deploy on Python 3.6 with asyncio-based services!
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Development and Operations (Service Layer) and working closely with other engineers in the Service Layer team, you will develop new software features as well as improve existing services, including performance and scaling improvements.
Key responsibilities include:
- Following the software development lifecycle (SDLC) to:
- Implement new software features with clear estimates and timelines
- Create a well-communicated design strategy
- Develop the software implementation, ensuring extensive unit-test coverage
- Take ownership of the project during deployment to, and operation in production
- Ensure your code is deployed in a maintainable and scalable manner, and all failure conditions are being monitored and accounted for
- Working with middleware and frontend teams to implement new customer facing features for adding and changing network configurations
- Proactively conducting regular systems analysis and recommending changes in policies and procedures as necessary
- Helping to maintain existing services and applications by investigating and fixing defects
- Adhering to team conventions for code style and version-control practices
- Providing helpful, accurate and supportive code review to the rest of the team
We are looking for a self-motivated individual who loves solving tricky technical problems. Creative engineering will be required in this role, as well as the ability to juggle multiple responsibilities at the same time.
In addition, you will be:
- A persistent, creative problem-solver
- Able to remain cool and effective in a crisis while supporting team members as much as possible
- An excellent communicator with the ability to work in a cross-functional, multi-cultural collaborative environment. You must be able to articulate complex concepts clearly.
- Able to learn quickly and take on feedback
- Analytical with strong troubleshooting skills
- Change resilient: able to switch between projects as priorities required
Minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field.
- Hands-on Python experience
- Experience applying best practices for the full software development life cycle (e.g., coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, deployment using containers, and operations support)
- Understanding of thread-based and async-based (green threads/fibers/coroutines, etc.) paradigms. Experience in software delivery in a commercial environment, taking a project from scoping requirements through to deployment to production.
- Some exposure to relational databases, async-based paradigms and distributed systems would be beneficial.
- Production experience with asyncio, Twisted, Tornado, or any other async framework would be advantageous.
- Experience with designing concurrent and distributed systems will be even more beneficial.
- message-based systems
- Demonstrated experience
- working in an agile environment
- communicating with users, other technical teams and management to collect requirements, identify tasks, provide estimates and meet production deadlines
- supporting mission-critical, 24x7 systems
- implementing systems that scale, and can handle growing load gracefully
PCCW Global is an operating division of HKT, Hong Kong's premier telecommunications service provider which serves the voice and data needs of multinational enterprises and telecommunication service providers worldwide with an ethos of first class service, agility, and creativity.
Our Brisbane office acts as one of the technology hubs for the organisation and is key to leading next-gen technologies for networks and software control.
Benefits and perks
- Modern office at 200 Mary Street
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Friday lunches are on us. Sit down and share a meal with the team.
- Casual dress code
- Indoor soccer competition
- Opportunities to attend workshops and events to support your development
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact [email protected]