This is a 2-3 month contract role, with the possibility of moving to a permanent position after that. Ideally we're looking for someone to work with us in Melbourne, but we're also open to applications from remote candidates.
As an early contributor to our small technical team, you'll have a huge influence over our technology, our product and the company as a whole. This isn't just a development job, it's a chance to be involved in the early stages of a new company.
Because we're a small team in an early stage company, we're open minded about who might fill this role. Maybe you're a web developer who lives and breathes the latest frameworks, but are keen to make the move to iOS. Or maybe you have years of experience in iOS development already. Maybe you're a recent graduate who's a quick learner and is willing to work hard to skill up, or an old hand who's looking for a change of pace from the corporate world.
As long as you're flexible, resourceful and love working with other people to find great solutions, we want to talk to you.
About our workplace
- Milanote is based in a lovely calm office in the middle of Melbourne's CBD (about 2 minutes walk from Flinders St station). We have nice plants, nice decor and shared speakers which we take turns playing music on.
- Our team is pretty quiet, but very friendly and welcoming.
- About half of us have kids of various ages, so we're very flexible about things like school drop off, condensed work weeks, flexible start and finish times etc.
- We don't work crazy hours. We don't get drunk on Fridays. Mostly we eat lunch together. Every now and then we go out together for a fancy dinner (but you don't have to come if you don't want to).
- You can wear whatever you like to work.
- Everyone at Milanote gets a credit card. If you need to buy software, books or training courses, you don't need to ask for permission.
- Because we're a startup, we don't have any official policies yet around things like paid parental leave, mentoring, training, development etc. But we're really supportive of all of these things in principle, so if they're important to you we'll make them happen.
- We genuinely believe that diverse teams produce the best work, and we're really committed to creating an inclusive workplace for people from all backgrounds. This is not just a token statement, we really care about this!
- We're also open to remote candidates.
The most important requirement for this job is to live up to our company values. This stuff is more important to us than your specific skills, so please read them to find out if you're the right fit for Milanote. It's also the best way to get a feel for what we're like to work with.
Useful skills and experience are listed below. We believe good developers can switch technology easily, so it's not important that you already know all of this stuff. But we do expect you to have strong fundamentals and the ability to learn quickly. We're also open to you showing us a better way of doing things.
- iOS development (Swift)
Other highly regarded skills/experience
- Back-end development (specifically Node/Mongo/AWS)
- Experience with functional programming
- Experience programming for a networked app
- An inspiring environment where you can do the best work of your career.
- The chance to work on a great product that people love using.
- Work with the latest technologies, tools, developer-friendly processes and workflows.
- A workplace completely free from politics, bureaucracy and red-tape.