Hi. We're hipages. hipages provides a better, smarter way to connect tradies and consumers and get the job done well.
Founded in an Aussie garage 14 years ago by two great mates, we’ve continued to reinvent and refine what we do, becoming Australia's number 1 site to hire qualified, trusted and verified tradies.
We are on a mission to make home improvement effortlessly efficient. Our aim is to create a seamless experience for tradies and homeowners in place of the current unreliable - and unproductive - process that makes it a feat of endurance.
We build technology that solves the frictions of an industry ready for optimisation, by redesigning the tradie/ client relationship and transforming the way trade businesses operate.
To date, over two million Australians have changed the way they find, hire and manage trusted tradies to get a job done around their home.
Hipages. Change the way you tradie. Join us on this exciting mission!!
As a Data Engineer you’ll be responsible for collecting, transforming, storing and processing a wide variety of data sets. You will work closely with our data architect, data scientists, data analysts as well as key business stakeholders to devising strategies, prioritise, and deliver business value from our data assets.
You will be influential in defining the direction of the hipages marketplace as we continue to evolve, apply your experience to transform data into information, govern data quality and advance data-informed decision-making across the business. But most importantly, you’ll be joining a top-notch data science team!
If working in a fun, high-growth, fast-paced company with potential opportunity to develop your career appeals, then read on.
What you'll be doing
- Create, maintain, evolve and monitor hipages’ data pipeline.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation and loading of data from a wide variety of sources and implement ETL processes.
- Identify, design and implement internal process improvements such as automating manual tasks, optimizing data delivery and governance as well as evolving infrastructure for improved scalability.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product and Data teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Collaborate with the analytics and data scientist team members to strive for greater functionality in our data systems and assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
To be successful….
In addition to a down-to-earth attitude, a desire to continually master your craft and a good sense of humour, you will also bring:
- 5+ years’ experience in Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence and Big Data processing
- Experience in writing ETL transformations in Python and Scala and familiarity with modern workflow systems like Airflow.
- Experience with pipeline design and implementation with large distributed databases (Kinesis/Kafka, Spark/Beam/Flink, S3/HDFS etc)
- Fluency in programming languages like Java / Scala / Python / Node.js
- Experience in collecting, analysing, and synthesizing results from various data sources
- Familiarity with scaling and deploying machine learning models
- Strong sense of accountability and understanding of privacy around user data
- Degree qualified in Computer Science, Information systems or similar
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Proven history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets using distributed systems
- Expertise in build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management
Why work for us?
We believe great companies come from great people and we empower our team members to have a voice, to help drive hipages forward and ensure we continue to be a great place to work. A huge focus on your career development (with associated investment), competitive salary package, a multitude of best-practice employee benefits and the opportunity to become an owner in the business via participation in our Employee Share Program are a few of the reasons to work here, not to mention the free brekkie, snacks, fruit and the opportunity to work in the most amazing office space in the heart of the CBD!
Our diverse and inclusive culture drives our success and helps makes us a great place to work - we celebrate the individual! We encourage our team members to feel free to be themselves so they can unleash their maximum potential. We are a team of down-to-earth people who genuinely work together as a team to "make it happen". This is hipages' DNA.
Check out our Instagram #hipagesteam and LinkedIn posts to get the picture.
This is an exciting and rare opportunity to really impact a business going from ‘great to best ‘ so don’t miss out and let us know about you!